Monday, October 20, 2008

Kylyn



I’ve posted something special about both Tyler and Mia…so figured I owed my oldest angel the honor of her very own post.

She reminds me so much of me as a child…it is scary. If fact….I often recall one of my mothers phrases “When you grow up and have your own daughter you’ll understand….”
- why you can’t sleepover at “just anyone’s” house
- why it’s important to be in church every Sunday
- why you can’t watch rated PG 13 movies
- why you can't listen to "that" music
- why you have a bedtime
- why you have to eat breakfast
- why you can’t wear your shorts “that” short
- these rules that you think are crazy will all make sense

I hate to admit it (especially since I know she’s reading this right now) BUT was mom ever right?
It was only a very short time after God gave me Ky that I was able to quickly understand all of the above…and more.

Kylyn loves school so much that she studies just for the sake of studying. She loves to read….and can get through a book just as quickly as I can (and comprehend it all).
She dances on a competitive team, loves to play on the computer and spend time running errands with me.

This weekend she attended her first JBQ (Jr. Bible Quiz) meet. She’s been going to JBQ study group for 2 hours every Sunday afternoon and really enjoys it. They learn over 600 Bible facts and memorize 100 or more verses.

This was my first JBQ event and I was in awe. The questions that these kids are answering amaze me. This is a great …for kids that have the “competitive” nature about them and the desire to learn God’s word. Here are some of some of the quiz questions they answered this weekend:

Q: How do we know we can resist temptation?
A: No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

Q: Quote the verse of Philippians that tells us what we should think about.
A: Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Q: In the Parable of the Sower, to what four kinds of people did Jesus compare the soils?
A: Those who allow Satan to steal the Word; those who deny Christ when persecuted; those who allow worldly things to dominate their lives; those who receive the gospel and share it with others

Q: According to Romans chapter eight, what things cannot separate us from God's love?
A: For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 8:38,39

I know you are thinking..."These seem pretty common"... BUT imagine 6-10 year old children answering these questions in a quiz environment. Throughout the course of the season, they learn 600 + of these.

When they buzz in to answer a quotation question, it must be quoted exactly as found in the scripture in order for them to gain the points for their team. Ky was a little intimidated at first but eventually warmed up...buzzed in and starting earning points for her team. It was really an amazing event.
I am so proud of my oldest daughter. Proud that she has the desire to learn God's word and hold it in her heart.

Ky, thank you for making me so proud. I am blessed to have you as a daughter and cherish the moments I am given with you. I love you.

4 comments:

CIRCLE OF LIFE said...

THAT WAS SO SWEET YOU OUGHT TO PRINT THAT AND FRAM IT THAT IS A AWESOME REMEMBERANCE, SOMETIME WE TEND TO GET OVER WELEHMED WRAPED IN OUR LIVES TO STOP TAKE A BREATH AND TALK ABOUT OUR CHILDREN DIFFERENT TRAITS AND TO GO DOWM MEMORY LANE IS SUCH A JOY AND IT SHOWS THEM SEE I LISTEN, AND CARE, THAT WAS REALLY NICE TIFF. GOOD JOB. SWEET LITTLE GIRL, GOOD LUCK AT THE JBQ KNOCK THENM OUT WITH YOUR KNOWALEGE!

CIRCLE OF LIFE said...

PTHANK YOU SO MUCH LOTS OF WORK AND YOUR FAMILY IS SO BEAUTIFUL AS WELL, OFF TO THE LAUNDRY HAVE A BLESSED DAY! HEADING ON A FAMILY VACATION SO IF I DO NOT COMMENT BACK FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS YOU KNOW WHY, CAUSE THATS NOT LIKE ME !!! HOPE MAC MAMA DOESNT HAVE STALLEN UNTIL I GET BACK SIO I CAN SEE THE PICS TOOOOOOO


BLESSING MICHELLE

Shawn said...

Hey sweet Tif! So happy you dropped by today. This is an awesome post about your baby girl. I am so thrilled that Kylyn is learning these amazing Biblical concepts and God's Word. This will equip her for life so well as she faces things you and I never had to deal with at her age. Thanks for sharing such a personal window into your mama's heart. And thank you for encouraging this sister in Tennessee. Shawn

Misty Rice said...

Great post.....